So What's in a Name Anyway?
My name is pretty simple if you ask me... M-A-R-L-O right? It's a five letter word, not very common I'll admit, but... you can even sound it out phonetically if you need to. Well you wouldn't think that it could be easy to screw it up but I will soon prove you wrong.
I ordered some ink from Dell and it arrived today addressed to MARLL. Now COME ON!!!
It all started when I was a little girl. I must not have pronounced my name loud enough because everyone always assumed that my name was MARLA because I'm a female and female names end in an "a" not an "o". Whenever someone hadn't seen me in a while they would call me any one of the following, Margo, Margot or Marla.
It's really my dad's fault. He had a massive crush on Marlo Thomas (you know.. That Girl?- for those of you who weren't alive during that TV series, you might know her better as Rachel's mom on Friends.) When my parents found out that they were having a baby, they came up with several names but picked two top choices if I was to be a girl: Brandy and Marlo. They got into a huge fight and my dad won. (Thanks Dad!)
Now that I'm older, I've run into many people with IQs less than a potato. For some reason, these people either can't hear or simply don't care. I've been called the following: Merlot, Melba, Marelot, Marlow, Marlowe, Mr. Marlo, Margot, Marla, Marls, and of course, today's favorite: Marll.
Despite all of this silliness with my name, I have to say that I really do like it. It's different, it's unique and who else can say that they're named after a furniture store?
I am making a public oath that when I name my child... I till try my best to brainstorm a list of every possible way to screw the name up so my child can avoid this name funny business... or maybe I won't. It does make for an interesting blog...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home